Whispering Heart: What Scientist do when they have nothing to do....
  • Windows at height
  • Above the world in awe I stand
  • Horizon’s end my vision extend
  • Lights like fairies twinkle in night
  • Silences in hearts, whisperers hide.
  • Mirrors blur, reflects my soul
  • Unease tempers, feelings untold
  • Comfort of home, bodies unknown
  • Seeking a peace heaven bestow.
  • High in the sky, yet still faiths denied
  • Glimpses of The peace, hopes & light
  • Birth rights entails, time to an end
  • Return to dust, hour Not yet at hand.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

What Scientist do when they have nothing to do....

Email conversation of Scientist when they have nothing to do...
Scientist 1 >
Dear All,
This is a caution notice to everyone who walks to work. This morning when I walked to proteos by the track beside rail way, I frightened a snake. It frightened me, too. It suddenly stood up towards me with a flat triangle head---cobra looking to me, and stared each other for a couple of seconds. It is all black and about 2 to 3 feet long. I worry about two points here: it was seen on the left side of the track just a few meters away from the traffic light and less than a meter away from me---very close to us; and it did slide back to some hole beneath the track---it settled down here?!
If anyone who knows about snakes in Singapore could identify this one as a harmless one, it’s great. If it does be a cobra or other dangerous species, and settle down beside us, all poor pedestrians just take care.
All the best
Scientist 2 >
Very few species of snake in Singapore are harmless. Yours sounds like a spitting Cobra.....you were in it's natural habitat...it is not a case of it being the transgressor. . Snakes will be present along the railway line, in the park nearby and in the drains and sewers. Walk with caution and respect the wildlife.
Scientist 3 >

I agree with Scientist 2. The snake that has been spotted is an equatorial spitting Cobra. http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/snakes/equatorial_spitting_cobra.htm

These species are very common in the area of XYZ/ABC rd.

“Walk with cautious and respect the wildlife”

Scientist 4 >
Hi all, I think my colleague Scientist 1 was walking on the designated cemented pavement connecting Building 1 to Building 2 (and not on any grass patch). This is the path that almost ALL XYZ staff travelling by train takes everyday. I do not think he had deliberately tried to disturb any form of wildlife.
Most importantly, it concerns the safety of ALL human species, since the link that you sent had indicated this phrase-->
"Though not aggressive in nature, these snakes can accurately spit a powerful neurotoxic venom into the eyes which can cause temporary blindness.The bite, however, can be fatal."
So does it still concerns respecting wildlife or safety of our fellow colleagues now?
Thanks.
Scientist 2 >
Nobody implied that wildlife was deliberately disturbed...... the advice is still the same....walk with caution anywhere in this area or any areanear wasteland. There are plenty of snakes in the DEF Gardens andsuch for instance. Maybe you are suggesting the XYZ safety officers go and hit them with a violation order for being dangerous near human scientists.
Scientist 1 >
Dear All,
I totally agree on respecting wildlife and do not intent to disturb any of the wildlife at all; and more, I do not think I did anything unusual to disturb the cobra. As my email said, I just walked on the path supposed to be used by us, and I only ask for your "caution" when you walk to work, which is very common for most of us. Cheers
Scientist 5 >
We should hire the snake to sort out the run-away mouse problem.
Any one got the PROBLEM in the entire SITUATION????

2 Comments:

Blogger jomitsui said...

Wahahahaha.... hehehehehee

Nice dialoge here. :P Ya there are snakes in SG definitely. Caught a Phyton with my friends in Temasek Poly that measures about 4 meters long and caught a spotted gecko at the same route to in insitute last yr but it got away... :P

12:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wahahaha.... heheheheee

Ya, there are snakes in SG. Some friends and I caught a phyton at Temasek Poly grounds near the fountain that measures about 4metres when we are studying there. haha.. and I caught a spotted gecko at the same route to the institute last year but it got away. :P

12:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home